Might and Magic Tribute
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UDK UnrealScript sources

3 posters

Go down

UDK UnrealScript sources Empty UDK UnrealScript sources

Post  schveider Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:45 am

At first a little bit introduction for those who don't know what UDK is: UDK (Unreal Development Kit) is a product of Epic Games, company known for games such as Unreal Tournament or Gears of War.Unlike commercial engine they offer, UDK is provided without possibility to write native code(C++) hence only knowledge of UnrealScript is necessary for our purpose.

At first download game assets http://code.google.com/p/might-and-magic-tribute/downloads/list
Files with assets are: UDKGame.7z, UDKGame2.7z, Music.rar, HUD2.zip, MMTVoices_2.zip . Add the packages in this order and always rewrite if you are prompted.
To run game you have to follow these steps:

1)Install UDK

2) You will also need source codes from repository I posted above.To obtain them you have to install Mercurial at first.

3)Open command prompt and type "hg".If there is any response then all is set correctly otherwise you need to add Mercurial directory to system variable PATH.If you don't know how here is tutorial http://geekswithblogs.net/renso/archive/20...-windows-7.aspx

4)Assuming you have installed UDK into default directory execute following commands:
Code:

cd C:\UDK\UDK-20XX-XX\Development\Src\ (where X stands for year and month)
hg clone https://code.google.com/p/might-and-magic-tribute/
ren might-and-magic-tribute MMTGame
cd ..\..
hg clone https://code.google.com/p/might-and-magic-tribute.config/

Next step, which is easiest to do in explorer, is to rename might-and-magic-tribute.config to UDKGame and confirm you want to join the new one with the existing.
At last, copy the assets into UDKGame and rewrite all

5) With any change in scripts you will be asked whether you wish to compile them.Press "Yes" button.
If compilation is ok then close this window and open editor/game again.If not post the error here I will take a look at it.

To get familiar with individual components of UDK take a look at corresponding tutorial on UDK site.

If you have any other troubles, just ask.

UPDATING PROJECT:
To update project(configuration files and source code only) you have to use Mercurial "hg pull" command in command prompt.
Because config. files and source codes are in separate repositories you need to perform this command twice.
Assuming you have used default installation path type following
Code:

cd C:\UDK\UDK-20XX-XX\Development\Src\MMTGame
hg pull
hg update
cd C:\UDK\UDK-20XX-XX\UDKGame
hg pull
hg update
note:I don't recommend to edit sources or config files if you are not familiar with Mercurial, it may result in quite difficult merging with other versions of edited file.

LOCALIZATION NOTES:
Please add every dialog, text etc. into localization file ../UDKGame/Localization/INT/MMTGame.int instead of config. files.Localization files use same system like the common cfg. files - the key, value pair.Except the value is not in quotes although it is string.

PROGRAMMING ITSELF:
While writing code please remember not to use UTGame classes.It is true they contain very useful functions but due to factors such as code maintaining and performance.Try to avoid them.

NOTE FOR PROGRAMMERS IN C++ OR C#:
If you are familiar with c++ or c# and not willing to learn UnrealScript, there is one more task.For UDK graphic configuration we will need some kind of launcher which will execute the main program, install patches, configure game.If you are interested in post here and we will resolve details.

Last edited by schveider on Tue May 01, 2012 7:20 am; edited 6 times in total

schveider
Team Member
Team Member

Back to top Go down

UDK UnrealScript sources Empty Re: UDK UnrealScript sources

Post  schveider Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:22 pm

I've reuploaded assets.Link above

schveider
Team Member
Team Member

Back to top Go down

Post  asomath Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:04 am

Ahhhh, what did I dooooo?

UDK UnrealScript sources MMTErrors

~Asomath
asomath
asomath

Back to top Go down

Post  schveider Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:58 pm

It appears you have incorrectly copied assets into ..\UDK-2011-07\UDKGame\ dir instead of ..\UDK-2011-07\.Therefore your directory structure is ..\UDK-2011-07\UDKGame\UDKGame\...

btw this map (MMT_AR_Serenity) is just a test of the new landscape editor in UDK.Map which is loaded if game is run via UDKGame icon is MMT_AR_03.Nevertheless MMT_AR_Serenity is going to replace current map.

schveider
Team Member
Team Member

Back to top Go down

Post  asomath Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:02 am

Yep your right it works wonderfully now, thank you.

And yes, I do like the editor very much. I havent had a chance to look at scripting yet, but it looks nice, and I'll play around with it.

Which brings me to my next question, how easy is it to consolidate work from different programmers into a main map?

~Asomath
asomath
asomath

Back to top Go down

Post  schveider Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:22 am

I'm not sure if I understand your question so I try to answer in general.Creating map doesn't require programmers but only level designers who assemble it from separate packages containing e.g. sound, 3d models etc. Programmers are responsible for creating logical representation of characters(but not only it).Physical representation is made by 3d artists.
In our case the map package itself contains only information about the landscape.The rest are references into different packages.

Is this what you were asking?

schveider
Team Member
Team Member

Back to top Go down

Post  schveider Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:19 pm

Akkarin uploaded code which includes some simple enemy character.Don't forget to download update with "hg pull" and then "hg update" Smile.
Character can be inserted into scene via content browser after you switch to Actor Classes tab and then open "Enemys" category.

schveider
Team Member
Team Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Akkarin Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:24 am

I just updated the enemy classes.

Now enemy stats are being stored in UDKMMTPawn.ini (in config directory). You should also download update of config-repository to get UDKMMTPawn.ini (otherwise enemies won't work).

Akkarin
Team Recruit
Team Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post  schveider Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:04 pm

Good job, that running Cathode is best Very Happy .Unfortunately when I'm outside his range he appears not to move randomly but goes somewhere.
btw I think you use pathnodes, don't you?If so there are none so far.It might be reason why his move isn't random

schveider
Team Member
Team Member

Back to top Go down

Post  asomath Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:50 am

Yep, that was the question.

So, now can you create a short tutorial on how to update the MMT version of my computer? Smile

~Asomath
asomath
asomath

Back to top Go down

Post  Akkarin Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:19 am

I've just uploaded code including simple NPCs.

You can add an MMTPawn_LIAMCathodeExampleNPC via content browser after you switch to Actor Classes tab and then open "MMTPawn" category.

You should assign a dialogue to the NPC after you placed it on the map.
(Right click on the symbol representing the npc --> "MMTPawn_LIAMCathodeExampleNPC Properties"
you should type "Serenity_Nathan" in the Dialogue Name field in the MMTribute section)

At the moment there is only one dialogue (Serenity_Nathan) included, but we should be able to convert all existing dialogues from MMT 0.5 to UDK.

Akkarin
Team Recruit
Team Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post  schveider Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:27 am

I've added simple step-by-step manual how to update project into first post

schveider
Team Member
Team Member

Back to top Go down

Post  asomath Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:39 am

Thanks, ya'll have been doing a great job so far in starting off MMT in UDK. I'll upload the Character Voices i've done so far here in a bit. I've got about 60% of them done (All races have a male voice besides the troll, and 2 races have female voice sets), so it should be nice to implement those.

~Asomath.
asomath
asomath

Back to top Go down

Post  schveider Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:39 am

Akkarin wrote:I've just uploaded code including simple NPCs.

You can add an MMTPawn_LIAMCathodeExampleNPC via content browser after you switch to Actor Classes tab and then open "MMTPawn" category.

You should assign a dialogue to the NPC after you placed it on the map.
(Right click on the symbol representing the npc --> "MMTPawn_LIAMCathodeExampleNPC Properties"
you should type "Serenity_Nathan" in the Dialogue Name field in the MMTribute section)

At the moment there is only one dialogue (Serenity_Nathan) included, but we should be able to convert all existing dialogues from MMT 0.5 to UDK.

Sorry, I forgot to write this but dialogs shouldn't be included in (common) configuration files.You need to add them into Localization/INT/MMTGame.int(or something like this).
Then localized string can be obtained via variable which is defined as "var localized string yourString".The rest is same as with common config. files (key=value but strings has no quotes)
Reason why to do this is localization.In case of this simple dialog it has no sense to add it to localization files but for real data we will need to do this

schveider
Team Member
Team Member

Back to top Go down

Post  schveider Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:58 pm

I've made some changes to user interface so you will need to update code both from config and source repository and also download new asset archive

schveider
Team Member
Team Member

Back to top Go down

Post  asomath Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:53 pm

Alright, sounds good.

What are ya'll planning to do in terms of the Main Menu and Character Creation screen... do you know how ya'll are going to go about it?

~Asomath
asomath
asomath

Back to top Go down

Post  schveider Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:04 pm

What do you mean plan?I don't understand the point of this question.

schveider
Team Member
Team Member

Back to top Go down

Post  asomath Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:47 pm

Oh let me rephrase then.

Do you all know how to code the Character creation screen? If so, is it going to be realitively easy?

~Asomath
asomath
asomath

Back to top Go down

Post  schveider Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:19 am

asomath wrote:Oh let me rephrase then.

Do you all know how to code the Character creation screen? If so, is it going to be realitively easy?

~Asomath

The part written in UnrealScript is relatively easy although being time consuming.The Flash + AcitonScript is more problematic since the external interface for communication AS -> US is wierd.However biggest problem is player's characters' initialization = move data from player creation menu to playercontroller (to explain why is pointless because it's too technical).

schveider
Team Member
Team Member

Back to top Go down

UDK UnrealScript sources Empty Updated MMTVoices.upk

Post  Akkarin Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:30 pm

I've updated the MMTVoices package and uploaded it to MMTVoices.zip.

Download the updated version before getting the latest source code from the repository, otherwise you'll get 200 compile warnings about sound cues not being found.

I also wrote some wiki articles on how to use the MMTVoices, MMTLocalizations and MMTParty classes on the google code wiki. Hope that'll help current and future developers figure out how things work Smile.

Akkarin

Akkarin
Team Recruit
Team Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post  asomath Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:13 pm

Good job Akkarin. If you've kept tabs in the CH thread, you'll see that what people said were one of the biggest problems with these fan projects, was that when a key player disapeared, the source-code and the knowledge of how to use them disapeared. With this Repository maintenced by Schveider and you, and having all artistic assets uploaded to there, we have effectively eliminated that problem.

Im gonna see if I can begin bringing in contributers, especially on the art aspects. Ya'll have been doing a great job, but you can only go so far without resources and assets.

~Asomath
asomath
asomath

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum